Saturday, October 25, 2008

Mr. Skeleton

This information was taken from a new blog that I just came across called Homemade Homeschoolers. How perfect that they are sharing a free 5 foot long skeleton "unit" study, to accompany our human body weeks.
They mentioned that I should go tell my friends, so I am...you!
Thank you so much, Homemade Homeschoolers, for sharing your hard work.
Go on over to their blog and give them some comment love. :)

(taken from their blog)

Mr. Skeleton and Osteology

We have a fun craft project that we are giving away FREE this week! Mr. Skeleton is about 5 feet tall and very easy (and cheap) to make! We have had one in my parent’s home that I can remember hanging every Halloween as a child. My mother informed me yesterday that that particular skeleton has hung around for 36 years! Even your youngest can easily participate in this craft and it can be a keepsake tradition for your family. For the older kids, I thought that it would be an opportune time for learning the real names of all those bones. So, I have gathered some links to learn the names and test them as well.

Vocabulary

Defining terms you will be using throughout a study is a great way to introduce vocabulary words and an important part in understanding new concepts. Besides the names of the bones, there are some other terms you may encounter. Have your kids take turns looking these up in a dictionary as a good way to develop dictionary skills as well as finding the answers. You can look in an online dictionary, but I prefer the paper version to teach the kids research skills. My kids write vocabulary words on index cards (word on one side, definition on the other), to use as flashcards throughout the study.

  • osteology, joint, tendon, ligament, axial, appendicular, irregular, sesamoid

Naming the Bones

Next, I would learn the names of the bones. My favorite is a cute, but very informative movie at Science With Me. You must register on their site, but it is completely free and well worth it. To see the skeleton movie, go to animations and click on Stanley the Skeleton. Turn up the volume and enjoy. I think this works well even for older kids, but, if yours want something more “grown-up”, there is a labelled diagram of the skeleton you can use. I would label index cards with the names of the bones, mix them up, and have the kids lay them out as though they were building a skeleton. Breaking them up into groups can also help. The two groups of bones, based upon where they are located, are Axial and Appendicular. The five types of bones, based upon their shape, are Long, Short, Flat, Irregular, and Sesamoid.

Once they have the names down pretty well, there are some good links to interactive skeletons to test themselves and solidify their learning.

There are also free printable worksheets available at Science With Me and Lesson Tutor.

Here is your FREE skeleton craft:

Mr. Skeleton Pdf Just right-click and save to your computer! Tell your friends!!